26 March 2012

KEEP YOUR NOTE BOOK HANDY


With early morning fog and various other mishaps, I spent most of today waiting for planes in airport lounges.  Irritating to say the least, but it did highlight what a treasure trove airport lounges can be for a writer of fiction.  Snippets of dialogue, body language and facial expressions abound not to mention the interesting as well exasperating personalities.  Everything you could wish for to enrich your characters.

Of course, it doesn’t have to be an airport lounge.  It can be the beauty salon, coffee shop, the train, bus.  In fact, anywhere humanity congregates.

So, keep your notebook handy, and the next time you find yourself marking time, make use of the moment.

4 comments:

  1. Great advice! If only I could remember to take a pen and paper when I'm likely to be delayed...or break down and get a laptop. I'm still not sure I really am a writer, I usually grab something to read if I think I'm going to have to sit around and wait.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I carry everything with me. Pen, paper, book, crossword. I'm like a walking office.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not related to notebooking, but I didn't find anything more relevant to add a comment to. Will "The Celtic Dagger" be available as an ebook (in the U.S.) any time soon? I picked up "Murder at the Rocks" as an Amazon freebie and liked it enough to look for more of your books, but Dagger only seems to be available in paper format (and at Aussie book prices). Even "Murder at the Rocks" now shows on Amazon as not available to U.S. purchasers.

    BTW, I have Deja Office on my smartphone (which I ALWAYS have with me) and can write memos in it, or enter notes under an appointment if I want to make sure I'll see them later (to copy-and-paste to a different file)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Sylvia, Lovely to hear from you. I'm very pleased you enjoyed Murder At The Rocks. And thank you for mentioning it is not showing as available in the US. I will look into that.

    No, unfortunately, my publishers didn't publish The Celtic Dagger in ebook format. It's only available in paperback from Booktopia on-line. However, I would be happy to send you a copy if you leave me your contact details via the Contact Me form which you will find in the list to the right hand side of this post.

    Deja Office sounds to be an electronic notebook. I will have to look into that.
    Best Wish, Jill

    ReplyDelete