8 July 2013

SELF PUBLISHING - Making your eBook Visible

Once your eBook is published, the work doesn't stop.  You now have to make that book visible to readers.  This means marketing.  A relentless task, but a necessary one if you want to sell your book.

Many of us, including myself, have never had experience in marketing, but don't let that stop you.  It's never too late to learn something new, and besides, you might find you enjoy it.

You may not feel comfortable with all the marketing strategies you read about, so to start with, my suggestion is to choose some that you are happy to try.

In my previous Self Publishing Your eBook - Part 6 - Marketing Your eBook, I listed a few ideas to get you started and I'm adding to that list here:-

FREE promotion day(s)
Everyone loves a bargain, so why not let readers download your eBook FREE for a specified time period.  Not only will the visibility of your book improve if you have it published on Amazon, for example, but there is also the possibility that those people who download it and enjoy the read, will tell their family and friends. Remember, by word of mouth is very powerful.

If you do decide to go FREE, advertising your promotion will help to increase its success.  The following sites are just some that can help at no cost.  Having said that, not all these sites guarantee that your book will appear, but it's worth a try.  You will also find that the Author Marketing Club list other similar sites that you can click on to submit your eBook for advertising:-

Author Marketing Club
eReader Utopia
Pixel of Ink
Ereader News Today
Book Goodies

Of course, making all these submissions is time consuming but there is help.  For the sum of $40, you can employ eBook Booster to do it for you.  eBook Booster will submit your FREE promotion to up to 45 sites.  There again, it isn't guaranteed that all these sites will feature your book, but well worth the cost nevertheless when one has time constraints.

Do you have any marketing ideas that you'd like to share?

Comment moderation has been enabled so your comment will not appear immediately.

10 comments:

  1. More good advice Jill! Unfortunately...when you are published by a publisher they won't let you "give" your eBook away for any reason. Being able to control your copyright is certainly a benefit of self publishing which I will certainly consider the next time I have a manuscript ready.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, Anna. I've experienced that myself when involved with a publisher. Self publishing may be a lot more work but at least you are in the driving seat. But having said that, I suppose there's a lot to be said for both forms of publishing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Free is definitely a great way to hook new readers. I've had success with offering short ebooks for free, which have led to sales for my novels. On my website, I've listed a bunch of marketing tips in my blog "50 Reasons Why My Debut Novel Sold 10,000 Copies."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great to hear from you James and I will check out your 50 Reasons. You're right, of course. Going free for a day or so does help to find new readers. A good marketing tool! Best Wishes, Jill

      Delete
  4. Yes, self publication can rich our mind. Change our thinking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment, Rodney. I agree, self publishing has changed many peoples thinking in relation to the publishing world.

      Delete
  5. You have great knowledge about ebook and epub.

    ReplyDelete
  6. great advice guys i was build my own team as book cover designs if you guys looking someone
    ebook cover designers we can do that we do have lot of services on any book or ebook formatting .

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great advice for newbies. I would also add to this article visiting Http://Bookpraiser.com and submitting your book at all sites listed there.

    The more the downloads the merrier for you

    ReplyDelete