30 September 2013

THE SILVER CANE - THE BOOK TITLE THAT TURNED SPOOKY!


Have you ever had something you've long imagined materialise?  This happened to me last Tuesday morning.
My work-in-progress is THE SILVER CANE, a Fitzjohn mystery and #4 in the series.  My title comes from the fact that the murder victim carried a cane with a silver handle.
I’ve envisaged this cane for months.  A silver handle, atop a slim piece of dark wood with a silver tip at the end.  The only thing I had not visualised is what shape the silver handle would take, although I did know it would be some sort of bird.
I’d never even seen a walking cane like this and I didn’t expect I would.  The canes I have seen are rather clinical looking things that stand in corners of chemist’s shop, waiting for some elderly new owner to come along.
Oddly, on this particular Tuesday morning, I seemed to be carried along on a wave of activities I rarely participate in.  That is, I went out for breakfast to an old part of town that I don’t usually frequent.  After breakfast I went to a bookshop that I’ve never been keen on.  I found I still wasn’t, so I left after a couple of minutes, but instead of retracing my steps back to my car, I found myself walking in the opposite direction.  That’s when I happened upon what I can only describe as a curiosity shop.  You know the sort; a bit dusty, dimly lit, cluttered, and simply filled to the brim with bric-a-brac - in other words, a wonderful place to browse.  I'm a good browser so, of course, I stepped inside. No doubt you know the rest.  There, leaning against an old cupboard was the very SILVER CANE I had conjured up in my mind, complete with an eagles head for its silver handle, and a silver tip at its end.  True story!
I’m now the proud owner of that silver cane, made in Italy, no less, and a most beautiful object. I must say, this whole episode has brought more meaning to the title of my next Fitzjohn mystery - THE SILVER CANE.
Do you have any spooky stories?

6 comments:

  1. Wow Jill...that is a tad weird and a bunch of wonderful that you found the perfect "title" cane you didn't really know existed until you found it unexpectedly. Fantasy turning into reality. It's so beautiful perhaps you should incorporate it into the cover art.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm going to ask my cover artist if she can do that, Anna. I'm glad you agree that it is a bit weird finding such a cane.

      Delete
  2. I found your great blog through the WLC Blog Follows on the World Literary Cafe! Great to connect! We're at http://writerswin.com/blog/ Let me know if you'd ever like to offer up a guest blog post :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Shari. I'll give it some thought. Best Wishes, Jill

      Delete
  3. You are the Master of manifestation Jill ! I have enjoyed your blogs, thanks for all your time and effort in putting them together. Regards
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Debbie, I appreciate your kind comment.
      Kind Regards
      Jill

      Delete