Different genres have their own particular styles. For example:-
Crime novels, whether cozy mysteries or police procedurals, have complex plots that drive the story and involve the reader in solving the puzzle.
Romances are about love and relationships, the complications that develop and how the heroine and hero overcome their difficulties.
Westerns are about the opening up of the frontier, fulfilling dreams, the dangers people face and sheer survival.
Science Fiction where anything is possible, is about the future, space travel and /or set on another planet.
They all provide a different experience for the reader. Even so, they each have elements in common whether the story is set in the past, present or future. These elements are:-
- Engaging characters that the reader cares about.
- Plot - A sequence of events
- Settings - In which the story is set
- Theme -The message the story sends to the reader
- Structure -The building blocks
- Conflict -That which creates the action